Home Page Home About Us Contact Us

Financial Aid/Scholarships

Introduction   For Children's Social Workers  Youth   Parents/Caregivers   Financial Aid/Scholarships   A-G Requirements

How Much Does it Cost to Attend?

Fees are set by the State Legislature and were recently reduced to $20.00 per unit beginning with the Winter 2007 intersession. Recent prior terms remain at $26.00 per unit.

California residents pay only $20.00 per unit. That's $60.00 for one 3-unit class beginning
with the Winter 2007 intersession.

Students admitted as "Special Part Time Students Grades K-12" and enrolling in 11 or fewer units are exempt from enrollment fees charged for all terms (including summer) pursuant to Education Code section 76300.

Students from other states pay non-resident tuition of $188.00 per unit plus a $20.00 per-unit enrollment fee beginning with the Summer 2009 intersession.

Students from other countries pay tuition of $198.00 per unit plus a $20.00 per-unit enrollment fee beginning with the Summer 2009 intersession. Students on an F-1 visa also pay a $25 per semester international student processing fee. Also, students with an F-1 visa are required to pay an international student medical insurance fee, currently $420 per semester period. If you have any questions, please contact the International Student office at your college of choice (link opens a new browser window).

Special notice to non-resident students: Nonresident Tuition Fee Exemption on the Basis of Demonstrated Financial Need. Students who are citizens and residents of a foreign country, or who are legally precluded from establishing residency in California, shall be entitled to exemption from nonresident fees on the basis of individual financial need in accordance with regulations adopted by the Chancellor. Such individual exemptions shall not be granted in excess of ten percent (10%) of the District’s students who are both citizens and residents of a foreign country in the applicable term.

There is also a mandatory $11.00 Health fee ($8.00 for winter intersession or summer) and some colleges have a Student Representation fee of $1.00.

There are some other optional fees including $7.00 for membership in the Associated Student Organization (ASO).

There are many financial aid opportunities to help qualified students pay for their community college education, and you may even qualify to have your fees waived. Be sure to read about financial aid and get contact information from our financial aid offices if you would like to talk to us.

The Financial Aid Application Process

Step One: The Application

We strongly encourage you to apply online for financial aid. Prior to doing so, obtain a Department of Education Personal Identification Number (PIN). Your PIN serves as an e-signature. Both students and parents can obtain a PIN. Go to www.pin.ed.gov (link opens new browser window) to apply for a PIN. Providing your email address will expedite the receipt of your PIN; otherwise it will be mailed.

The financial aid process at LACCD begins with you submitting the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) via www.fafsa.ed.gov (link opens new browser window) or by paper. You should not wait until you are admitted to the college of your choice to apply for financial aid. Below are the LACCD federal school codes:

College Federal School Codes

Los Angeles City College 001223
East Los Angeles College 001222
Los Angeles Harbor College 001224
Los Angeles Mission College 012550
Pierce College 001226
Los Angeles Southwest College 007047
Los Angeles Trade-Technical College 001227
Los Angeles Valley College 001228
West Los Angeles College 008596

Step Two: Follow Up

If you submitted your FAFSA online and provided an e-mail address, you will receive a Student Aid Report (SAR) via e-mail. If you applied online but did not provide an e-mail address, you will receive a SAR in approximately two weeks by mail. Students who completed a paper FAFSA may expect their SAR within 4 – 6 weeks. Your college will receive your information electronically from the Department of Education and will use the information to determine your financial aid eligibility. It is your responsibility to review your SAR to ensure that the information is correct. Keep your SAR for your records.

The Financial Aid Office will review your application and notify you if additional documents are required. Please make sure that your address is correct with the Financial Aid and Admissions Offices. Note: all colleges within the LACCD process financial aid files on a first-come, first-served basis. Therefore, it is very important that you respond to inquiries by the Financial Aid Office in a timely manner.

Step Three: The Notification Process

You will receive an Award Notification Letter.

Step Four: Disbursement

Financial Aid Resources

Financial Aid check(s) will be sent by mail to the address on file in the Admissions Office, are transferred electronically to the student’s bank account (EFT), and on rare occasions sent to the campus. It is your responsibility to report address and phone number changes to the Admissions and Financial Aid Offices.
Your enrollment will be verified and the disbursement amount will be adjusted accordingly.

If you have any questions about financial aid, please contact the financial aid office at your college of choice

Financial Aid Resources | Fees | Contact Us

Visit icanaffordcollege.com (link opens new browser window). This site has general information about financial aid opportunities, how to apply, and more. It is presented by the California Community Colleges and is sponsored by the State of California.

To learn more about federal programs, visit the United States Department of Education Portal for Student Aid at www.students.gov (link opens new browser window).

For more information about Cal Grants and other state programs, visit the California Student Aid commission website at www.csac.ca.gov (link opens new browser window).

There are hundreds of scholarships available, visit the following Web sites to search for scholarships:

www.fastweb.com (link opens new browser window)
www.wiredscholar.com (link opens new browser window)
www.collegeboard.com (link opens new browser window)

Another great resource is the EdFund website at www.edfund.org (link opens new browser window), which provides financial aid and college planning tools for students and parents.

All nine of our colleges offer classes to help you improve your skills in English, writing, reading, math and English as a Second Language.

Note: Each of the following links opens a new browser window.

Los Angeles City College
Class Offerings
Online Classes

East Los Angeles College
Schedule of Classes
Online Classes

Los Angeles Harbor College
Class Schedules and Catalog
Online Classes

Los Angeles Mission College
Schedule of Classes
Online Classes

Pierce College
Schedule of Classes
Online Classes

Los Angeles Southwest College
Schedule of Classes
Online Classes

West Los Angeles College
Schedules and Catalogs
Online Classes

Instructional Television (ITV)
ITV Home Page

Los Angeles Trade-Technical College
Course Information
Online Classes

Los Angeles Valley College
Courses and Catalog
Online Classes


Los Angeles City College Online Courses

East Los Angeles College Online Education

Los Angeles Harbor College Online Classes

Los Angeles Mission College Online Courses

Pierce College Online Classes

Los Angeles Southwest College Online Classes

Los Angeles Trade-Technical College Online Classes

Los Angeles Valley College Distance Ed/Online Classes

West Los Angeles College Online Classes

Instructional Television (ITV)

Directions and Maps to Our Campuses

Our nine colleges comprise the largest community college district in the United States and one of the largest in the world. We serve an area of more than 882 square miles.
Below is a map of the Los Angeles region showing the locations of our campuses. There's sure to be a campus near you!

CLICK ON THE NAME of a location for more information.

Admission Contacts

Los Angeles City College – Admissions Office (link opens new browser window)
Office Location: Administration Bldg., Room 100
Regular Office Hours:
Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday - 8:30 a.m. to 7:00 p.m
Friday: 8:30 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
Phone: (323) 953-4000 extension: 2104
Fax: (323) 953-4013

East Los Angeles College – Admissions Office (link opens new browser window)
Office Location: E1 Building, Room 104
Office Hours:
Monday – Thursday 8:00am - 7:00pm
Friday 8:00am - 1:00pm
Phone: (323) 265-8650 extension: 1
Fax: (323) 265-8688

Los Angeles Harbor College – Admissions Office (link opens new browser window)
Office Location: Administration Bldg. 100
Office Hours:
Monday - Thursday 9:30am - 6:30pm
Phone: (310) 233-4090
Fax: (310) 233-4662

Los Angeles Mission College – Admissions Office (link opens new browser window)
Office Location: Instructional Building
Office Hours:
Monday, Thursday 9:00am - 7:00pm
Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday 9:00am - 4:00pm
Phone: (818) 364-7600 extension. 4684

Pierce College – Admissions Office (link opens new browser window)
Office Location: Administration Building 1003
Office Hours:
Monday - Thursday 8:30am - 7:30pm
Friday 8:30am - 3:00pm
Phone: (818) 719-6404
Fax: (818) 716-1087

Los Angeles Southwest College – Admissions Office (link opens new browser window)
Office Location: Student Services Center
Office Hours:
Monday - Thursday 7:30am - 7:30pm
Friday 8:30am - 3:00pm
Saturday 9:00am - 12:00 noon
Phone: (323) 241-5321
Fax: (323) 241-5359

Los Angeles Trade-Technical College – Admissions Office (link opens new browser window)
Office Location: R Building
Office Hours:
Monday - Thursday 8:30am - 7:30pm
Friday 8:30am - 1:00pm
Phone: (213) 763-5300
Fax: (213) 763-5383

Los Angeles Valley College – Admissions Office (link opens new browser window)
Office Location: Administration Bldg., Room A-125
Office Hours:
Monday - Thursday 8:00am - 7:00pm
Friday 8:00am - 4:00pm
Phone: (818) 947-2553
Fax: (818) 947-2501

West Los Angeles College – Admissions Office (link opens new browser window)
Office Location: A-13
Office Hours:
Monday - Thursday 9:00am - 7:00pm
Friday 9:00am - 2:00pm
Phone: (310) 287-4501
Fax: (310) 287-4327

Instructional Television (link opens new browser window)
Office Location: Campus Center
Office Hours:
Monday - Thursday 9:00am – 5:30pm
Friday 8:00am – 4:00pm
Phone: (818) 833-3594

Understanding College Options

Here are the main differences between four-year colleges and universities:

Colleges offer four-year Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) or Bachelor of Science (B.S.) degrees. Some also offer a two-year Associate of Arts (A.A.) degree. Colleges can be specialized (for example, in nursing) or they can offer a broad curriculum, like the liberal arts which focus on the humanities, social sciences, and sciences.
For additional information regarding degrees, visit our Learning About College Degrees section.

Universities can be quite large and usually include a liberal arts college, some professional colleges, and graduate programs. This means they can offer two-year and four-year degrees as well as graduate degrees in advanced studies beyond four years.

Universities offer a huge course selection and may have extensive resources. Class size varies, depending on the size of the university, the subject area, and the course level. University professors are usually involved in research. Graduate students, rather than professors, teach some of the classes. (These graduate students are called teaching assistants or TAs.)

Public vs. Private Schools

Public colleges and universities
are subsidized by the state where the school is and are generally less expensive than private colleges and universities. The lowest tuition rates go to residents of that state; out-of-state students tend to pay higher fees.

Private schools
provide their own funding and tend to be more expensive than public schools. Because they are not tax-supported, private schools also tend to be more innovative in developing college financing plans, tuition assistance programs, and financial aid award packages.

Choosing a School
Use our School Search Tool to search and compare schools on your list.

  1. Select schools that interest you.
  2. View information on admissions, the campus environment, enrollment, freshman admission profiles, school expense, and financial aid.
  3. Compare schools side-by-side from our database of nearly 4,000 schools.

You might be surprised at the range of education options available to you. Spend a little time finding the courses, prices, location, and atmosphere that fit you best.

Community College

For many, community colleges (also known as “junior” or “two-year” colleges) provide a bridge from high school to college, offering courses for transfer toward a bachelor’s degree at a four-year school.

More than 11 million students, about 44% of all undergraduate students, attend community colleges throughout the United States.

Students have different reasons for attending a community college: They often cite low tuition, convenient locations, class schedules, open admissions policies, and comprehensive course offerings.

What Community Colleges Can Offer:
  • Entry-level career training to prepare students for the job market.
  • Job re-entry or career-advancement courses for adult students wanting to upgrade their skills. 
  • Advanced placement classes for ambitious high school students that count for credits toward their college degrees.
  • English as a Second Language (ESL) classes for adults with varying levels of education in their native countries who need English-language instruction.
  • Courses not offered by local four-year colleges.
  • Distance learning programs for students wishing to learn at home to accommodate to their schedules.
Community colleges offer the ability to continue education at any point in your life, close to home, and at an affordable price.

Considering Community College?

Community College Admission Requirements

Community colleges generally offer an "open door" admissions policy for individuals who are at least 18 years old and have graduated from high school or obtained their GED.

Use the following information as a guide. Contact the admission office at the school you are considering for their admission requirements.

Students Seeking a Certificate or Associate Degree

If you’re looking to get your associate degree or a certificate in a program, you may need to provide:
  • An application and application fee.
  • Official school transcripts from an accredited high school or accredited GED scores.
  • SAT or ACT scores.
  • Placement test scores.
If you were home schooled, you need to be at least 16 years old and provide a copy of a signed home school agreement between the appropriate school system and the authorizing parent or guardian.

Non-Degree-Seeking Students

If you wish to take courses for career improvement or your own personal enrichment, you don’t need to provide high school or college transcripts.

International Students

If you’re in the U.S. on an approved visa or status, you may be eligible to study at a community college. Check with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) to see if your visa or status makes you eligible.

Dual Enrollment for High School Students

High school students who want to take classes at a community college must meet the these requirements:

  • Completed core high school units.
  • Have at least a 3.0 GPA.
  • Written recommendation from their high school guidance counselor.
A Typical Admissions Process
  • Complete application for admission.
  • Determine what tests you need to take: Contact the counseling center to find out what tests you’ll need to take. Some community colleges require you to take placement tests, for example, if you want to get into some degree programs. For students whose first language is not English, an English proficiency test may be required.
  • Schedule a meeting with a counselor: Counselors help you with academic and career planning, transfer requirements, student financial aid, and more. It's a good idea to pick up a college catalog for campus policy, course descriptions, and class schedule information.
  • Apply for student financial aid: You may qualify for financial aid such as scholarships, grants, loans, student employment. Also, make sure to submit the FAFSA.
  • Select classes: Class schedules are usually available two months before the start of each semester.
  • Register for classes: Register early for the best selection. The schedule of classes includes instructions and forms necessary for registration.
  • Pay tuition: Tuition payment is normally due at the time of registration. Often paying tuition entitles you to use the library, bookstore, student lounge, and other facilities.
  • Review your course schedule: Check your schedule for errors. It's your responsibility to make sure you have registered for the right courses on the right days, times, and campus.
  • Get your student identification card
  • Purchase textbooks and parking pass

Open Mission College Info Page Open Mission College Info Page    Open Pierce College Info Page  OPen Pierce Open Mission College Info Page  Open Valley College Info Page  Open Mission College Info Page  Open Mission College Info Page  Open LACC Info Page Open ELAC Info Page Open WLA College Info Page Open LA Trade Tech College Info Page Open LA Southwest College Info Page Open South Gate EDucational Center nfo Page Open LA Harbor College Info Page